Saturday, May 18, 2013

Orthodox

My biggest concern when I'm wearing dresses at winter along with flats is that I won't appear orthodox. I was at my cousin's Brit Bat, and I've decided to wear a long sleeved dress with black stockings, so I immediately started worrying that I wouldn't appear orthodox. What is it then that bothers me so much? It's not the look, and it's not that they've taked this look for secular girls. It's the fact that whenever people see someone dressed as an orthodox jew, there are certain stereotypes that jump to his mind. And that's what bothers me.


So why did I decide to dress that way anyway, unlike in other occasions? Because I'm sick of think about what other people think about how I dress. I believe that as long as you're comfortable in your skin and clothing, you can dress however you feel is suiting for you and your current mood.
 
And I've really had a blast. Not all is well with my family, but at least I felt comfortable around them, which inevitably affected my mood. That, and the fact that it was my first family event since I've moved in alone. I was definitely feeling great, and liberated. And Irony was that I was dressed as an Orthodox girl.
Guess dressing to comfortably and as you like can really help liberate you.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment