Saturday, November 26, 2011

Homes

This post is particularly special because this week - change will come. whether for the best, or for the worst, at last - my time has come to go out to the world and be on my own.

So I want to talk a bit about homes and their symbolic meaning. In the book "When the Earth Trembled in Haiti" by Ariel Bar, the Israeli rescue team comes at Haiti's rescue after it is shaken by a terrible earthquake at 2010. When they arrive there, the author tries to describe the Haitian way of life through their eyes and focuses particularly on the concept "home". He says that the term is being used quite widely, and is used to describe the fancy multiple-floors houses of the elite, but also the tin-roofed piece of earth that so many people in Haiti call home.


Where is my home? Not to compare my situation to those who were dreadfully injured in the earthquake, but I've come to feel like I'm living in a house rather than a home. I need to find my place. I need to find my peaceful tiny cavity to which I can call a safe place, a room that I won't be afraid to enter -  my real home.

A few weeks ago we stopped by our cousins and saw what an amazing house they've built for themselves. It was incredible (as you can see in the attached photos). But what impressed me most of all in this place was that they all called it a home, it was their spot in the universe, where they feel safe, serene and themselves.

I've said above that this is a time of change for me. And that's cause I hope that I will finally find me a HOME... I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment